Get a vehicle report

Buying a Car - Road User Charges & Registration

9 years ago

If you are buying a car you are responsible for unpaid Road User Charges (RUC), but the Seller is liable for unpaid Licence fees (sometime referred to as registration or road tax).

Vehicle License LabelRoad User Charges

For cars and light vehicles RUC is usually determined by the vehicle┬┐s odometer reading, however heavier vehicles may use a Hubometer .

Our VIR report includes a handy RUC calculator which will tell you exactly how much is outstanding.  For a standard car RUC costs $53 per 1,000km. Here is a full list of charges

To avoid any confusion around Licence fees we recommend changing ownership on the same day you acquire the vehicle.  You can change ownership online here.

Happy motoring!

Back to the blog